Apprehension of an armed shooting suspect


Officer James McIntyre          

On October 19, 2012, at approximately 2200 hours, several Lynn Units responded to a Harwood Street address on the call of gunshots.  Dispatch transmitted information that one of the suspects had fled toward Western Avenue, while two additional suspects had fled down Harwood Street towards the Lynn Commons.  Officer James McIntyre (Car 8) was on the Lynnway and immediately responded to the area after hearing the initial call. Officer McIntyre shut down his emergency lights and slowed his vehicle, while traveling on South Common. He observed a male and two females inside the Commons, near 170 South Common Street. This location is across from Harwood Street, and could have been the direction that the reported shooters may have fled.  Officer McIntyre then exited his cruiser, approached the three individuals, and ordered them all to put their hands on their head. The male appeared intoxicated and refused to obey his order, and when Officer McIntyre began to approach him, he also observed another male party with his hood tightly pulled over his head, hiding behind a tree to the left.

Officer McIntyre quickly turned and used his flashlight to illuminate this additional person, who appeared startled and began to step backwards. Officer McIntyre ordered him to place his hands on his head, and then began to approach him. The first male party began yelling at Officer McIntyre to “leave the kid alone, he is just a kid”, while Officer McIntyre ordered the second male to keep his hands on his head and not move.

The second suspect, who was later identified as an individual with previous firearm offenses, appeared reluctant to remove his hands from his waist area. Officer McIntyre then unsnapped his gun holster, and the suspect finally placed his hands on his head. Officer McIntyre grabbed and locked the male party’s hands on his head, began a quick pat down for weapons, and immediately felt a handgun in his right front pants pocket. He then called for assistance, notifying all units that he had a suspect with a handgun in the Commons. Officer McIntyre placed the individual’s arms behind his back and awaited the arrival of another unit. Sergeant Magulas (SECSD K-9) was the first on scene to assist, and Officer Ross Panacopoulos (Car 19) also arrived, secured the weapon, and made it safe.  The weapon was found to be a 9mm handgun, with five rounds in the clip, and the chamber was empty. When it was determined that suspect did not have a license to carry a firearm, he was placed under arrest. During this entire time, the first male party was yelling, screaming, and out of control. He was also placed under arrest by officers on scene for disorderly conduct and trespassing.

Other LPD officers, who were on scene at the Harwood Street residence where the shots were reported fired, found three 9mm spent shell casings on the sidewalk in front of the building. Four spent 9mm shell casings were also located on the sidewalk in front of a neighboring dwelling.  


The armed male suspect was subsequently charged with the following:

1. Carrying a firearm without a license 2nd offense,

2. Carrying a firearm with a defaced serial number,

3. Carrying a loaded firearm,

4. Carrying a firearm without and fid subsequent offense, 

5. Felon in Possession of a firearm,        

6. Discharge of a firearm within 500 feet of a building, and

7. Trespassing Park Rules Violation.


Officer McIntyre’s high level of professionalism and dedication to duty are clearly demonstrated by his immediate response and courageous efforts. Due to his swift arrival on scene, and subsequent heroic actions; an armed suspect was taken into custody, a loaded firearm was recovered, and additional firearms-related incidents and injuries may have also been prevented.


Subdued and arrested individual during an armed attack

Officer Raymond Therrien


On Saturday June 30, 2012, at approximately 1715 hours, Officer Raymond Therrien was working as the Front Desk Officer and was in the lobby with three individuals who were reporting a past incident. Suddenly a female, who was being pursued by a male party, ran frantically through the front door and into the foyer. Once in the foyer, she began to cower and place her arms in front of herself in a defensive position. The male then began to beat the woman with one hand while raising a large knife towards her with his other hand.

Upon seeing the armed assault on the female, Officer Therrien immediately ran towards her while radioing to Lynn Control that there was a fight in the lobby. After reaching the knife wielding assailant, Officer Therrien grabbed his arm and began delivering knee strikes in an attempt to disarm him. The male party dropped the knife but tried to regain control of the weapon from the floor while continuing to physically resist Officer Therrien. Other officers who had heard Officer Therrien’s radio transmission then arrived and assisted him in placing the suspect in custody, and he was subsequently charged with Assault with a Dangerous Weapon.

The female victim was treated for cuts and bruises. She later reported that her assailant was a former boyfriend against whom she had an active restraining order. She stated that he had approached her on Washington Street while screaming various threats and she then fled to the police station.  After she made it into the foyer, the male party caught up with her and then began to attack her.

        Officer Therrien’s swift reaction to this sudden and life threatening attack may have saved the female victim’s life. Although he was alone at the time, he disregarded his own safety and immediately engaged the armed and enraged suspect. Officer Therrien’s heroic actions in this situation reflect great credit upon himself as well as upon the quality of the officers of the Lynn Police Department.


Evacuation of residents from a burning building

Sergeant Glenn Dunnigan
Officer Pablo Figueroa


On April 26, 2012 at 0830 hours, Officer Pablo Figueroa responded to the report of a working fire on Green Street. Upon arrival, he quickly assessed the conditions while simultaneously taking immediate action to ensure that the residents were safely out of the building.  Officer Figueroa entered the smoke-filled building and went to the third floor, where he found a 53 year old resident injured and disoriented, as fire could be seen inside her apartment.  As a result of her confused state, the individual started moving back into her apartment toward the direction of the flames.  He quickly led her to the stairwell and directed her out of the building, as the flames intensified and rapidly engulfed her apartment. 

Officer Figueroa then conducted a brief search for occupants in the other third floor apartment, and after finding none, he moved to the second floor and then to the first floor to continue evacuating residents.  As he engaged in this search and evacuation, Officer Figueroa also notified the dispatcher of the status and intensity of the fire so that this information could be passed along to the responding units from the Fire Department.  After learning that another resident was still inside a first floor apartment caring for several pets, Officer Figueroa quickly went to that area of the building and persuaded the resident to leave, and then assisted her and another resident, as they tried to safely remove several pets.

After evacuating the residents, Officer Figueroa directed them to a staging area where EMS personnel could treat those who were injured. He continued to conduct interviews to determine whether any other residents were still inside.  He also made multiple phone calls to verify that all residents were at school, work or otherwise safely removed from the building.  After establishing that all residents had been safely evacuated, he provided this information to the Fire Department so that they could focus on suppression efforts without fear of residents still being trapped inside.

Sergeant Glenn Dunnigan arrived at the scene soon after Officer Figueroa and he quickly went to the rear of the building in an attempt to locate and evacuate residents that were still inside.  He observed smoke coming from the roof vent and third floor windows that had apparently been opened by residents inside.  Sergeant Dunnigan entered the building through visible smoke; while other occupants were evacuating and pointing to the third floor to indicate others remained inside.  As he moved up the rear stairwell knocking on doors in an effort to locate and evacuate residents he suddenly heard the sound of breaking glass.  Sergeant Dunnigan moved back down the stairs and observed black debris falling from the upper floors, and a moment later he observed the right side of the building was engulfed in flames.  He then observed units from the Lynn Fire Department arriving at the scene and he quickly updated them on the possibility that there might still be victims in a third floor apartment.  Sergeant Dunnigan then located Officer Figueroa at the front of the building and coordinated with him to verify that all residents were safely out of the building.

Sergeant Dunnigan and Officer Figueroa demonstrated the highest level of courage and professionalism by placing themselves at risk of serious bodily injury under extremely dangerous conditions in an effort to save the lives of others.  In addition, despite having just endured the physical challenges of this incident; they demonstrated tremendous professionalism and dedication to duty by gathering all the evacuees to ensure that they received necessary medical treatment and relief services while also conducting interviews to verify that all residents were safely out of the building.



Life Saving Water Rescue

Sergeant Timothy Magner
Officer Kelly Aylward
Officer John Bernard
Officer Michael Crosby
Officer Joshua Hilton
Officer Masrob Torosian


On December 5, 2011 at 0105 hours, the Lynn Police Department received a call that a car had plunged off the Fox Hill Bridge on Western Avenue and was submerged in the Saugus River. Officers John Bernard and Michael Crosby (Car 15), Officers Joshua Hilton and Michael Gorman (Car 17), and Officer Kelly Aylward (Car 11) were dispatched and were the first to arrive on the scene. They quickly confirmed that a car was totally submerged in the Saugus River, and were told that there was a person or persons still trapped inside the vehicle.  Officers Crosby and Bernard immediately stripped off their gear and entered the frigid, murky water of the Saugus River.  Officer Crosby had a throw rope with him that Officer Hilton was holding onto, for the officers’ lifeline. 

Sergeant Timothy Magner subsequently arrived on the scene and could see that the car was barely visible through the water, because it had plunged off the bridge and landed upright.  Officers Bernard and Crosby were standing on the roof of the submerged vehicle, with Officers Hilton and Aylward standing on a small floating dock tending to their lifeline. 

Officers Crosby and Bernard made repeated dives under water to try to open the door and rescue the occupants.  Officer Crosby dove under the water again, and after several moments, was finally able to open the driver’s side door.  Officer Bernard then dove under the water and into the submerged vehicle, but the officers were unable to see in the dark murky water.  As Officer Bernard felt around inside the car, he could tell that the air bags had deployed from the crash, making it even more difficult to find the occupants.  Officer Bernard kept checking, and managed to grab onto what he first thought was an arm, but was actually a leg of a male victim.  He and Officer Crosby struggled to free this man from the wreckage, and at that time, Officers Hilton and Aylward also went into the water from the dock to provide assistance. 

Officers Masrob Torosian and Michael Gorman (Car 10) soon arrived on the scene, and along with Sergeant Magner, went to the edge of the dock to assist.  Officers Bernard and Crosby managed to free the male victim, and passed him off to Officers Aylward and Hilton; they in turn got him to the dock.  Officer Torosian was then tending to the lifeline, in the event that the officers in the water still needed it.  Officers Hilton and Aylward pushed the victim onto the dock, as Officers Torosian, Gorman and Sergeant Magner pulled him up.  At that point, the dock began to sink with the weight of all the rescuers on it.  Sergeant Magner quickly began to administer CPR, with the assistance of Officer Torosian.

By this time, Lynn Fire Department personnel were also in the water at the submerged vehicle, trying to rescue the other passenger. Sergeant Magner noticed that the LPD officers were tiring and that their prolonged exposure to the frigid water might make them at risk for hypothermia, so he ordered them out of the water.  Sergeant Magner and Officer Torosian continued to perform CPR on the male victim until an ambulance crew took over. 

Sergeant David McEnaney had also arrived on scene, and assisted in coordinating the rescue.  The female victim was located and taken out of the submerged car through the sun roof by Fire Department Personnel, who had used a tool to break it open. She was then lifted to the dock with the assistance of Officers Hilton, Torosian, Gorman, and Trahant (who had also responded to the scene).  Once the female victim was taken out of the water, CPR was performed by Lynn Fire Department Personnel. She was then transported by ambulance to Salem Hospital, where tragically, she was pronounced dead at 0224 hours.  The male victim was taken to Union Hospital and then transferred to Brigham and Woman’s Hospital.  He was in critical condition at the time; however, he did survive and was eventually discharged.  Officers Crosby, Bernard, Hilton, and Aylward were all treated by responding ambulance personnel and they all declined to go to the hospital.

Upon arriving at the scene and assessing the situation, Officer Crosby and Officer Bernard recognized and responded to the urgent need to take lifesaving action on behalf of the two occupants in the car.  They exposed themselves to great risk of personal harm by entering the dark, frigid water in an effort to rescue the victims.  They did so after formulating a plan, and they continued to work as a team to minimize the risk of harm while also maximizing the opportunity for a successful outcome.  The actions of these two officers were extraordinary under extreme circumstances.

Officer Hilton and Officer Aylward immediately responded to assist the officers in the river by going to the water’s edge and maintaining visual and audible contact with the rescuers.  They showed great restraint and professionalism by making a measured response, and avoided placing themselves at risk unnecessarily by not immediately entering the frigid water.  Upon realizing that the officers in the water needed assistance, most likely because the extremely cold water had sapped their strength and energy, Officer Hilton entered the water and helped to remove the driver and get him safely to the dock.  At the same time, Officer Aylward observed that the officers in the water appeared to be struggling due to the effects of the cold, and she too entered to assist in the recovery.

Upon his arrival at the scene, Sergeant Magner immediately assessed the situation, worked to coordinate the response, and also prepared himself to participate in the rescue effort.  He demonstrated a willingness to place himself at risk by removing his duty gear in preparation to enter the water if needed.  However, rather than engage in an impulsive and unnecessary response by entering the water, he worked to ensure the safety of the officers under his command, communicate essential information to the dispatcher, coordinate the response of additional units; and ultimately provided life-saving CPR to the male victim.  In addition, Sergeant Magner had the presence of mind to recognize the escalating danger faced by the officers in the water, and he communicated simple, clear commands for them to exit; therefore mitigating the potential for the rescuers to suffer further harm.

Upon his arrival at the scene, Officer Torosian immediately responded to assist the officers in a support role by maintaining contact with the lifeline that was attached to Officer Crosby, so that he could take immediate action to pull him to safety if it became necessary.  Throughout this time he also maintained visual and audible contact with the officers on the slip and in the water in an effort to support and keep track of them.  When the driver was pulled from the vehicle and brought to the dock, Officer Torosian then worked with Sergeant Magner to provide what proved to be lifesaving CPR, until more advanced medical personnel could respond and take over.

Sergeant Magner, Officer Bernard, Officer Crosby, Officer Aylward, Officer Hilton and Officer Torosian demonstrated the highest standard of courage and professionalism by either placing themselves at risk of harm, or demonstrating a willingness to do so under extreme physical circumstances, in an effort to save the lives of others. 

Throughout the rescue Officer Gorman acted with exemplary merit in a key support role to the officers in the water. He responded to the scene with Officer Hilton and immediately went to the water’s edge to assist with the rescue effort.  Upon realizing that Officers Crosby and Bernard were already in the water; Officer Gorman recognized the importance of maintaining contact, and provided support to the officers to keep track of them and ensure that none of the LPD personnel were lost in the confusion of the response.  He repeatedly called out to the officers and continued to maintain verbal contact, while also provided encouragement and support. Officer Crosby credited Officer Gorman’s actions as having a significant positive effect on the officers in the water, helping them to maintain a positive attitude and ultimately a safe outcome.  Throughout this time, Officer Gorman also began formulating a plan to rotate officers out of the water due to the risks posed by the potential for hypothermia.  Officer Gorman further demonstrated tremendous composure and professionalism by recognizing the importance of his role of a support position that was crucial to a successful outcome for the male victim and the rescuers.