Apprehension of an armed and potentially violent individual

Officer Christopher Hagerty           

On November 5, 2011, at approximately 0237 hours Officer Christopher Hagerty was pro-actively patrolling the area of Chestnut Street and Essex Street when he heard an alarm sounding.  Numerous businesses in this area had been burglarized recently, and Officer Hagerty was concentrating his patrols in the area for that reason.  He soon discovered that the alarm was coming from a Laundromat on Fayette Street and immediately notified dispatch. 

Officer Hagerty observed that the glass front door of the building was shattered, and then saw a male party still inside the store. He then illuminated the individual with his duty flashlight and ordered him to the ground at gun point.  The suspect ignored Officer Hagerty’s verbal commands and walked towards his location at the front door.  Officer Hagerty then observed that the suspect had a knife in his right hand, and he continued to give verbal commands for the suspect to drop the weapon and get onto the ground.  The suspect refused and continued to advance towards Officer Hagerty, with the knife raised above his waist line in a threatening manner.  Officer Hagerty tactically positioned himself and created a distance between himself and the suspect.  The suspect eventually exited the store, dropped the knife, and a foot pursuit ensued.  Several other units arrived to assist, and after setting up a perimeter, responding officers located the fleeing individual.  A violent struggle then took place between the responding officers and the suspect; and it was necessary for him to be sprayed with OC. He was eventually placed under arrest, with only minor injuries.  Follow up investigation by CID determined that the armed individual has a lengthy criminal history and was responsible for several of the other recent commercial breaks in the area.

        Officer Christopher Hagerty demonstrated remarkable courage, restraint and composure by creating sufficient separation of the suspect; in order to avoid using deadly force while still maintaining contact. His response and subsequent actions led to the coordinated response of the other units, and the successful apprehension of an armed and potentially violent individual.


Provided Medical Assistance to a Seriously Injured Burn Victim

Sergeant Timothy Hallisey
Detective Richard Fucci

On October 15, 2011 at 23:55 hours, Lynn Police dispatch broadcast a radio transmission reporting a motor vehicle accident in the area of 50 Lynnway.  Detective Richard Fucci, who was in the area at the time, was the first officer to arrive on the scene, and advised dispatch that one of the vehicles involved in the accident was on fire.  Detective Fucci was soon joined by Sergeant Timothy Hallisey in the eastbound lane of the Lynnway.  Approximately one minute later, Sergeant Donald Kasle, Officer Michael O’Connell, and Officer William Stilwell also arrived.

Detective Fucci and Sergeant Hallisey immediately observed a male party spraying the contents of a fire extinguisher on one of the accident victims. This individual had been ejected from the van he had been driving, and his clothing had caught on fire as a result of the crash.  This vehicle was completely engulfed in flames, and was only a few feet away from the burning victim.  Detective Fucci then attempted to put out the flames on the victim’s smoldering body by thrashing his jacket at him in an attempt to smother the burning clothing.  By this time, in addition to the flames, there were also several explosions from the van. Sergeant Hallisey then grabbed the seriously injured male party, pulled him further away from the intense flames and out of harms way, and continued to treat him until paramedics arrived on scene.  The victim was subsequently transported to Massachusetts General Hospital in critical condition, with life threatening burn injuries.

Sergeant Kasle, Officer O’Connell, and Officer Stilwell observed that the other vehicle involved had very heavy front end damage and smoke coming from under the hood.  An off-duty EMT who was in the area also had reported to the scene, and was providing care to a victim in the second vehicle.  Unaware if this car would also catch on fire, this injured individual was removed and placed on the ground.  After a short period of time, black billowing smoke and burning embers from the first burning vehicle started to cascade down and envelop these officers and the second injured victim.  A decision was made to immobilize and move him to an area further away from the smoke and embers, and continue to provide treatment to him until paramedics arrived.

The scene of the accident was very chaotic, with numerous pedestrians and a large volume of motor vehicle traffic that had stopped in the area of the crash. In addition, it was determined that several occupants of one of the involved vehicles had fled the area with injuries; and officers on scene were able to locate and identify them so that they could be transported to the hospital for medical treatment. Charges were also sought for the driver of the second vehicle for operating under the influence of alcohol.

Sergeant Timothy Hallisey and Detective Richard Fucci disregarded their own personal safety, putting themselves at risk of being burned or otherwise seriously injured, as they worked to extinguish the flames that were burning the victim’s clothing, and then moved him away from a potentially major explosion from the damaged vehicle.


erformed Life-Saving Medical Treatment

Lieutenant Christopher Kelly

Chief Kevin Coppinger received a letter from Lynnfield Fire Chief Thomas Bogart advising him that on June 17, 2011, Lieutenant Christopher Kelly assisted his department on a very serious medical call. As stated by Chief Bogart, “On that morning, a 55-year-old female suffered cardiac arrest in the Our Lady of the Assumption School parking lot, while dropping her child off at school. Lieutenant Kelly, who was off-duty and in the area, responded to the calls for help. Without delay, he began life saving efforts to revive the victim by beginning Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation. He continued to resuscitate the victim until emergency response personnel from the Lynnfield Fire Department arrived on the scene. 

According to Chief Bogart, the paramedics used a portable automatic external defibrillator and were able to revive the victim. She was then transported to a Boston Hospital and is expected to make a full recovery. He further stated that “Lieutenant Kelly remained calm, poised and professional as he administered CPR to the victim, making a difficult situation much more manageable. His efforts gave this woman her only chance of survival.”

Lieutenant Kelly exhibited the highest level of professionalism and dedication to duty as he immediately responded to this call while off-duty; and utilized his training and skills to administer emergency medical treatment that ultimately saved the life of the victim.


Armed Home Invasion

Sergeant Michael Kenny

Sergeant Thomas McDermott

Detective Michael Kelter

Officer Shawn Hogan

Officer Titou Kim

Officer Michael McHale

Officer Max Saravia

Officer Ralph Sirois

Officer David Spelta


On June 9, 2011, at 18:35 hours, units were dispatched to a Wayne Avenue address on a report of an armed home invasion in progress.  Initial reports stated that three suspects were involved and that at least two of the suspects were armed with handguns.  At 18:38 hours, Officers Paul Holey and Mark Nerich (C-14) were the first to arrive on scene and they immediately began to establish a perimeter.  They were quickly joined by Sergeant Thomas McDermott (S-2), Officers Raymond Guillermo and Michael Hanlon (Car-16), Officer James McIntyre (C-8), along with multiple additional Division and Plainclothes units.  Officer Hanlon headed for the rear of the house while Sergeant McDermott and Officer Guillermo covered the front of the house. Officer McIntyre joined Officer Holey at the front door and attempted entry, while the other arriving officers began to take up positions surrounding the house. 

From his position at the front of the house, Officer Holey observed a male individual inside who looked back at Officer Holey and then fled to the second level.  This subject was later identified as a known offender with a prior history of gang involvement and prior convictions for violent offenses. At the same time, Officer Nerich observed another male subject attempting to flee out a second floor rear window.  He communicated his observations to other officers, and as a result Officer Guillermo ordered the suspect to the ground at gunpoint and Officer Paul Holey then placed him into custody. A firearm tossed away by this individual was subsequently recovered nearby.  The individual in custody was also identified as a known gang member with a lengthy history of violent criminal activity. 

As the suspect was being removed from the scene by Officer Guillermo, Officer Holey again spotted the first male party through a window along the left side of the house.  As Officer Holey moved toward the window, the suspect again retreated from view.  A moment later he emerged at a second floor rear window and fired several shots at Officer Nerich.  Officer Max Saravia, who was securing the perimeter from a different position, observed a portion of the suspect’s upper body emerge from the window, extend his arm with a gun in his hand, and then fire several shots in the direction of Officer Nerich.  Officer Saravia quickly responded with return fire causing the suspect to retreat back inside. 

Upon hearing the shots fired, Sergeant McDermott acted quickly to make sure that no officers had been hit, while simultaneously directed all officers to fall back to positions of cover, while still maintaining a secure perimeter to ensure that the remaining suspects could not escape.  He immediately notified the Commanding Officer that he was requesting an SRT response and also called for Officer Titou Kim, a crisis negotiator, to come to the scene to begin efforts at negotiating the surrender of the remaining suspects.  Sergeant McDermott then directed officers to establish inner and outer secure perimeters to ensure that civilians who had begun flocking to the area were not placed at risk of injury from gunfire by the now barricaded suspects.  Sergeant McDermott continued to actively manage the scene, contain the threat and coordinate the response of multiple units in a rapid, efficient and professional manner throughout the event, from an exposed position.          

Officer Kim soon arrived on scene and began using the PA system from a marked unit to speak directly to the remaining suspects who were barricaded inside. After approximately 30 minutes, he was able to persuade the individual first observed by Officer Holey to surrender.  That suspect announced that he had been shot and Officer Kim then gave him specific instructions, directing him on how to surrender to ensure his safety as well as the safety of the officers in the area.  The suspect complied with these instructions and he was subsequently placed in custody.  It was determined that he had a gun shot wound to his arm, which was sustained by the return fire from Officer Saravia in response to the shots fired at Officer Nerich.

After this suspect was taken into custody and removed from the scene, Officer Kim continued to engage in negotiations with the last remaining suspect inside the house.  At various times during this incident he placed himself at potential risk of personal harm by moving closer to the barricaded home so that he could communicate more directly with him in an effort to get him to surrender.  This third male party was subsequently identified, and was also well known to the police as a gang member with multiple prior arrests for violent offenses.  Through Officer Kim’s persistent efforts over a period of more than four hours, the individual was finally persuaded to emerge from inside the house to the front porch of the residence where he could be more effectively evaluated and was observed to be in possession of a gun throughout this time.  Officer Kim continued to talk to him in both English and his native Khmer to encourage him to surrender.  He observed that the defendant was increasingly acting in a despondent and erratic manner.  He formed the opinion that the defendant was preparing to engage in a desperate act and he communicated his observations and assessment to the SRT Leader who was then able to prepare his personnel.

After being on the front porch for approximately thirty minutes, the suspect suddenly charged off the porch, raised his firearm, and fired in the direction of nearby officers. SRT members Sergeant Kenney, Officer Sirois, Officer Spelta, and a perimeter officer returned fire and struck him, causing him to fall to the ground.  SRT personnel designated as the Standby Entry Team then moved forward to contain the male suspect, search and secure the residence, and recover the victim who was hiding inside.  SRT Medics responded and provided immediate life saving care to the above listed individual, who was then transported to the hospital for treatment. 

This incident became a rapidly evolving and escalating situation resulting in shots being fired at the responding officers by two different defendants during the course of the incident.  The rapid and professional response by the officers involved resulted in the arrest of three defendants over the course of the event with no personal injury suffered by the officers or any civilians.  Two defendants were injured by return fire from responding officers but both sustained non-fatal injuries.  The actions of all of the officers involved, from those who participated in the initial emergency response, to the house personnel who provided essential information and coordinated a massive response, to the subsequent arrival of additional personnel who took part in Special Unit response and other support roles, were noteworthy and representative of the highest levels of professionalism exhibited by members of the Lynn Police Department.         

Sergeant McDermott quickly responded to the scene and took immediate supervisory control of the incident during the initial violent response by the defendants.  He worked rapidly and effectively to ensure the safety of the officers under his command as well as nearby civilians, while also recognizing the need for a tactical response with a higher level of capability, as well as the need to have a crisis negotiator initiate contact with the defendants in an effort to bring the resolution to a peaceful conclusion.  

Officer Saravia responded immediately to the report of a violent crime in progress and acted with his fellow officers to establish a secure perimeter from a position of cover.  In doing so he was in position to observe one of the defendants attempt to shoot Officer Nerich.  His quick action and marksmanship under extremely stressful circumstances resulted in the end of the immediate threat presented by an armed suspect and likely spared one or more of his fellow officers from harm. 

           Officer Kim responded to the scene and quickly worked to establish communication with the barricaded suspects.  He quickly established a rapport with an armed and violent suspect, and persuaded him to surrender.  He then engaged in a marathon effort to negotiate the surrender of a second armed and dangerous individual suspect.  His ability to utilize his skills, along with a professional and compassionate demeanor throughout was crucial in bringing this event to a conclusion with no police or civilian casualties.   

           The responding Special Response Team officers; Sergeant Michael Kenney, Detective Michael Kelter, Officer Shawn Hogan Officer Michael McHale, Officer Ralph Sirois, and Officer David Spelta were locked into their assigned cover positions for extended periods of time, during periods of adverse weather conditions, and in some instances while being walked over by rats. These officers’ vigilance, professionalism, devotion to duty and restraint kept them ready and able to return the suspect’s fire with an immediate, accurate, controlled, and appropriate use of force.  


Subdued and Captured an Armed Individual

Officer Daniel Landry
Officer Michael McEachern

On April 10, 2011, at approximately 0110 hours the Lynn Police Department received a 911 call from a male party who stated, “I want to kill myself”, before abruptly hanging up.  Officers Daniel Landry and Officer Michael McEachern, who were assigned to patrol in an unmarked Ford Expedition, were dispatched to the caller’s address on Linwood Street.

Upon their arrival, the officers immediately observed a male in the middle of the street.  The individual moved in the officers’ direction and a second male subject, later identified as his father, could also be seen in the background behind him.  Officer Landry stopped the Expedition at a distance, and then he illuminated the male party with his flashlight.  At that moment, both officers observed that the suspect was approaching them while holding a black handgun in his hand.  He them moved to within 10 feet of their vehicle and raised his arm pointing the gun at the officers through the windshield, causing both to believe that they were about to be shot.  The officers could then see that the male party also held a large knife in his other hand.  Both officers immediately took evasive action.  Officer Landry pushed Officer McEachern out the passenger side door and then quickly followed him.

Upon exiting the vehicle, Officer McEachern moved toward the front of the Expedition in the direction of the armed suspect while Officer Landry moved around the rear of the Expedition to approach from the other side.  Officer McEachern reached the front of the Expedition and began shouting to the suspect, “Police. Drop the gun!” At that point he lost sight of the suicidal individual, who had moved to the other side of the vehicle.  As he was attempting to relocate the suspect, Officer McEachern observed the second man approaching them, ordered him away for his own safety, and immediately began making radio transmissions to inform Control of the situation.  At the time, he was not aware that this second man was the suspect’s father. 

As this was occurring, Officer Landry could hear Officer McEachern yelling to the suspect and he moved around to the other side of the Expedition where he was able to engage the individual directly.  He began shouting commands to the armed male, ordering him to stop and to drop the weapon.  Instead of complying, the suspect continued to move forward toward Officer Landry.  The armed male then extended his firearm toward Officer Landry and ignored repeated commands to drop the weapon.  At that point, Officer Landry discharged his firearm two times. The armed suspect was struck in the neck area and then collapsed to the ground.

Officer McEachern and Officer Landry both moved toward the suspect to render medical aid, while also notifying Control that a shooting occurred and made a request for EMS. As they were doing this, they observed the second male, the suspect’s father, approaching them with a black object in his hand.  The officers quickly detained and secured him, while also determining that the black object he was holding was a cell phone.  They then briefly detained him on the ground in handcuffs until the scene could be secured.  As other units arrived on the scene to assist, Officer Landry and Officer McEachern continued to fulfill their duty to render aid to the wounded suspect; while they simultaneously worked to secure the scene, gather witnesses, and also communicate with the dispatcher and arriving supervisors in order to facilitate the investigation.  Only after the scene had been secured and the officers were able to more closely examine the gun that the suspect was carrying, were they able to determine that it was actually a BB gun.

Officer Landry and Officer McEachern each exhibited extraordinary courage in the face of an imminent threat to their lives from an armed and emotionally disturbed individual.  They conducted themselves in the highest professional standard by attempting to de-escalate the threat through verbal warnings while simultaneously working to ensure the safety of bystanders, and providing essential communications to other units.  After Officer Landry was compelled to neutralize the threat through the use of deadly force, he and Officer McEachern continued to act in accordance with the strongest sense of duty and responsibility by rendering aid to the suspect, securing the evidence and witnesses at the scene and providing essential information to arriving personnel. 


ourageous response to a violent attack of two individuals

Officer Edward Monahan

On Saturday, April 2, 2011, at 0128 hours Car #10, Officer Monahan was conducting proactive patrol on Boston Street, when he noticed what appeared to be a disturbance in the rear lot of a fast food restaurant parking lot. Based on his knowledge of prior problems during late night hours at this location; he entered the parking lot with blue lights and siren on and observed two suspects of substantial physical stature physically attacking two male individuals who were much smaller.

After radioing a request for assistance, Officer Monahan then exited his cruiser and attempted to use verbal commands to end the violent attack.  At that time, he could also see that one of the suspects was armed with a weapon.  Despite being outnumbered and outsized by these violent individuals who posed an imminent threat to his physical safety, Officer Monahan maintained a command presence by drawing his firearm; and continued to give verbal commands, directing the suspects to stop until they complied and ceased their beating of victims.  Officer Monahan then maintained control of them until additional help arrived and they were subsequently placed in custody.  He then continued to work the scene by helping to treat the victims, assisted in the recovery of evidence and gathered additional information for his report of the incident. Officers on the scene administered first aid to the second victim who appeared to have a gash across the bridge of his nose. Sergeant McEnaney then requested that the officers search for the weapon, which was soon located by Officer Michael Surette.  The weapon, which was secured by Officer Jeffrey Trahant, was a folding straight razor with a yellow handle and a 4” blade, which appeared to have fresh blood on it.

Officer Monahan later determined that the violent incident began when the victims’ vehicle bumped the suspects’ vehicle in the drive-thru lane at the restaurant.  After some information was exchanged, an argument started and escalated into the fight that he first observed.

Officer Edward Monahan displayed the highest level of professionalism and tremendous dedication to duty by his courageous actions.  Officer Monahan was alone with no back up at the time he observed and immediately responded to this incident.  The suspects have combined prior charges of firearms, drugs, and past histories of violence.  The two victims were much smaller in stature; and if not for the actions taken by Officer Monahan, this incident could have ended with grave results. 


Arrest of an armed and dangerous individual

Officer Robert Avery
Officer Gary Hagerty


On February 28, 2011, at approximately 1040 hours, Officer Robert Avery and Officer Gary Hagerty were conducting proactive patrol on Green Street.  The officers observed a warrant suspect that they were very familiar with.  They knew him to have an extensive and violent criminal record and to be tied to the Deuce Boyz and Latin King gangs.  Upon initially encountering the suspect, the officers noted he had deliberately altered his facial appearance to disguise a cross tattoo that adorns his face under his right eye.  Officers Avery and Hagerty informed the suspect that he was under arrest and as the officers attempted to place him into custody; he pushed both of them and took off on foot, running from Green Street onto Violet Street. 

 Officers Avery and Hagerty then pursued the suspect on foot, and while chasing him, noted that he kept his left hand inside of his sweatshirt pocket and recognized that he was very likely armed. During the foot pursuit, the officers were assisted by a citizen who ran up to and tackled the suspect into a snow bank.  The fleeing individual quickly regained his footing and again took off running. 

While pursuing the suspect and within grabbing distance of him, Officer Hagerty was deliberately struck by the driver’s door of a passing motor vehicle and knocked to the ground.  It was later learned that the vehicle’s operator observed the foot chase and believed that Officers Avery and Hagerty (who were in plain clothes) as well as the fleeing suspect, were all being chased by uniformed Officer Raymond Therrien, who had arrived on the scene and also entered the ongoing foot chase.

While assisting Officer Hagerty (who later sought medical treatment for a knee injury) back to his feet, the officers observed the same assisting citizen run past them and again tackle the suspect.  The suspect again quickly got to his feet, at which time officers observed him remove a small handgun from his sweatshirt pocket and toss it into the snow.  He was then tackled by Officers Avery and Hagerty, with the assistance of Officer Therrien.  He struggled violently and refused all commands to place his hands behind his back.  During this time, the officers were also fearful that the suspect could have had another weapon concealed on his person.  With the assistance of additional officers who had to introduce pepper spray to subdue and gain control of the suspect, he was finally placed into custody.  Recovered from the scene was a Cobra 22 Cal. Magnum Derringer loaded with 2 rounds of ammunition.  In addition, 5 rounds of 22 cal. hollow point ammunition were discovered lying loosely on the ground.

        Officer Robert Avery and Officer Gary Hagerty exhibited the highest level of determination and courage during this incident.  Along with Officer Raymond Therrien, they pursued a known violent individual who, based on their experience and training, displayed evident signs of being armed and dangerous.  They were steadfast in their duty to remove a wanted person from the streets of Lynn and put aside their own personal safety in doing so.



Disarmed an intoxicated suicidal person

Officer Gregory Brotherton
Officer Michael Crosby
Officer Ryan Dulong


On January 14, 2011 at approximately 0200 hours, Officer Michael Crosby and Officer Ryan Dulong (Car 15) were dispatched to Arlington Street after receiving a report of a domestic assault in progress.  Officer Gregory Brotherton (Car 9) also responded to assist, and while in route, Lynn Dispatch broadcast an update that a male party involved in the assault now had a knife and was threatening suicide. 

Officer Brotherton was first on scene, and upon entering the residence, he encountered a female victim and a shirtless, intoxicated male who had a large kitchen knife pressed to his throat.  Officer Brotherton immediately placed himself between the female and the suicidal male, and attempted to persuade the distraught individual to put the knife down.  Car 15 quickly arrived and Officer Dulong joined Officer Brotherton inside.  He ensured that the female victim was evacuated from the area and took up a cover position for Officer Brotherton.  Officer Crosby, still outside, observed and evaluated the situation through a window and requested special weapons deployment.  Sergeant Glenn Dunnigan and Sergeant Michael Kenny arrived moments later, along with other division personnel.  The perimeter was quickly secured, an ambulance was requested to stage in the area, and Officer Crosby deployed the Sage “Less-Lethal” launcher.

The officers also learned that there were more people inside the apartment hiding in a small room behind a closed door, within reach of the armed man.  It was impossible to reach them without jeopardizing officer safety even further.  This created a volatile situation with the possibility of a devastating outcome.

Officer Crosby subsequently joined Officers Brotherton and Dulong at the doorway of the small apartment, only 10 or 12 feet from the armed man.  After repeated commands to drop the knife, Officer Crosby gave a final order and warned the suspect that he would be impacted if he did not comply.  The male disregarded the officer’s commands and lowered his neck onto the knife, which was still pressed into his throat.  Officer Crosby then fired a Sage round into the suspect’s lower abdomen; which caused him to immediately drop the knife and collapse onto the floor.  Officers quickly moved in and secured the male party, ending the dangerous stand-off.

While this was an excellent example of effective and efficient teamwork for the entire Second Division, the efforts of Officer Gregory Brotherton, Officer Michael Crosby and Officer Ryan Dulong were particularly exemplary, as demonstrated by their rapid evaluation and response to an explosive situation. These officers took immediate action to safely evacuate the victim, secured a perimeter to protect other bystanders, and used less lethal means to disarm the suspect without loss of life or serious injury to any of the participants. All three officers displayed great courage and dedication to duty by placing themselves in immediate danger to safeguard the lives of several potential victims, including the armed subject.